Saturday 3 October 2015

A world outside our Door –but in can feel a thousand miles away



                  

A world outside our Door – but it can feel a thousand miles away

For the last few weeks I have been trying to get healthier with morning and evening walks and runs, I say runs but it’s mostly walking to be honest and I have to say I feel much better for it.

It has been a great way to clear my head before and after meetings, talks and time to think In a much clearer way.  On my walks there have been memories that make me smile and a few that have brought some tears.  It has taken me nearly 3 years since mum passed away to think more about me, who I am, who I was in many ways and to find the Thomas I was many years ago, as caring took its toll on all of who I am.

                                    

It has I hope made me a better person and I would not change caring for my mum for the world, she was my best friend and got me through the days and nights I struggled most.   That’s amazing my mum, who was facing so much more than I could change the landscape of the day with a knowing smile or squeeze of my hand.

It almost feels strange to be part of the world that sits outside my door, that’s where the tears come from, we became so isolated from the lives we both knew the world was outside our door then as it is now but it felt so far away.  As our opportunities shrunk to be part of things that had been part of us and our living space shrunk as mums health deteriorated the world outside stretched further out of reach.  If we are truly going to support people to live and die well then we have to support people to reach the world outside our doors and bring the world outside in when we can no longer go on.

If we really want to have a healthier better life in Scotland for people living with dementia their families and carers then we have to support them to reach that world outside their door and keep walking through their doors as we did  before dementia came along.  I feel so much better on my walks physically and mentally and every one of us has the right to be part of the world outside our doors and not be left with the isolation that comes their way to often.

A right to live well and absolutely a right to die well should be supported outside and inside our doors.  So let’s take the time to find out what matters and who matters to people let’s take time to stop the world outside our doors slip further away each day. 
   

                         






                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...