Friday 20 March 2015

Glasow Caledonian Nursing students and MSc 1 and MSc 2 Social Work Students add Personal Pledges

A big thank you from my hear to all the Mental Health Nursing and  MSc 1 and MSc 2 Social Work who students who attended my 2 talks today ,thank you for the great kindness ,messages and pledges ,




 image1
Tommy visited Glasgow Caledonian University on Wednesday 25th of March to speak to Mental Health Nursing Students as part of the first of two talks.
Big thanks to Margaret Caldwell, Lecturer in Mental Health Nursing Department for arranging the day.
Tommy has had the pleasure of speaking at Glasgow Caledonian before, why not have a read of the blog posts below:

You can now read the fantastic pledges from the Mental Health Students below:

I pledge to make a difference to my patient’s lives – Ryan Dynes
I pledge to give the best possible care, show respect and dignity.  Fulfil dreams of others- Claire Bavaird
I pledge to bring positivity to my role and recognise not just the patients struggle but family members too – Drew Anderson
My pledge is to get to know every patient and care for them the best I can.
I pledge to get to know my patients love lives, experiences and respect all – Joanne Rae
I pledge to provide the best care possible to service users and their families – Catherine
I pledge to listen to people and try to understand their story –Yasmin
I will make a difference, I will listen and I will care – Suzanne
I will make a difference by not just doing a job and going through the motions but seeing every unique person in their life and starting from that point – Andrea Cochrane
I pledge to get to know each patient as a person not as an illness.  Get to know a person’s past, present and future.  To support the families, friends and cares as much as possible.  To use a person-centred care approach towards recovery or a way to live with the illness as comfortable as possible – Megan McGurn
I pledge to make a difference to be kind to people, listen and understand – Ola
I pledge to be kind to people – Margaret
I pledge to always be a human being when caring for someone and to see a human in this person – Karina
My pledge is to keep the services safe, respect them and support them to access further support and make a difference – Mary
I pledge to be the nurse that make peoples heart smile – Cheryl Murray
I pledge to always spend an extra half hour with my gran, to make sure she has her nails painted and kept lovely like she always did when I was little – Melissa Bell
I pledge to be a positive part of the lives of those I care for, to find out about what is important to them and to make sure those things remain a part of their life – Paul Moran
I pledge to bring my most open, compassionate self to people – Gem Thomson
I pledge to take the time to learn all I can about the people I meet and using this to be the best nurse I can be and the best person I can be to help those around me – Amy Reid
I pledge to listen and care for not only the people I look after but for their families and loved ones.  I also pledge to be the best, caring and honest burse I can possibly be to make a difference in someone’s life –Megan Torley
I promise to always not only, as a nurse have a head full of good intention but to always have a heart full of love and to see the person not the illness – Jennifer MacIver
I pledge to take the time to get to know patient’s that have dementia, and realise that they are a person, not an illness – Lucy McGonigle
My pledge is to be the best nurse I can be.  Listening and finding out about the person’s life I am caring for.  Treating them with the dignity and respect they deserve and in a way I myself would like to be cared for – Alison McRoberts
I pledge I will make a difference by showing everyone I have the honour of supporting kindness and compassion and I will take the time to listen to their journey, love stories and aspirations – Connor Waddell
I pledge to make a difference in someone’s life.  One small act of kindness can make a huge difference.  Everyone has a life story and love story and that matters – Kimberly McCaffrey
I pledge to give my patient’s the best of my care and learn from carers what would be helped and find out about my patients life.
I pledge to get to know the person I care for and provide the best quality of care I can – Jordan
I pledge to be the best nurse that I can be.  I pledge to be person centred and go that extra mile.
I pledge to provide hope and support, show compassion and kindness always.  I pledge to listen with an open heart and provide a shoulder to lean on – Rachel Kyle
I pledge to get to know peoples background and their story.  To be patient and kind.  To listen to carers needs – Jackie Lee Sweeney
I pledge to always know the people I am caring for and make sure they know that is more important than they’re diagnosis – Kimberly Houghton
I pledge that I will make sure none of my patient’s or their carers will feel lost, alone or scared – Michael Ford
I pledge to make a difference, listen, learn and be the best nurse I possibly can.  From the very bottom of my heart – Eilidh
I pledge to be the best nurse that I can be.  Always listen see everyone as an individual not an illness.  I pledge to be the shoulder that anyone can cry on and the person you wouldn’t worry ab out talking to –Bethaney Rafferty
I pledge to listen and to learn from the cares and service users and make at least one person smile a day.
I pledge to take time to know individuals.  Learn about their past and experiences.  I also pledge to treat people with dignity, always –Natalie Clocherty




 The Second of Tommy`s talks at GCU on 25th March was to MSc 1 and MSc 2 Social Work Students.  Thank you to Dr Gill Constable, Lecturer of Social Work at Glasgow Caledonian University for inviting Dementia Carer Voices to share our work and campaign with the students over the day.
IMG_0329

My pledge is to treat everybody with dignity and respect – Melissa Friel
My pledge is to take the time to listen, to be kind and do everything within my means to help – Caoimhe Glacken
My pledge is to show my gran more often how wonderful she is and remind her of the fantastic things she has done – Jennifer McQueen
My pledge is to care, to listen and to see past the diagnosis to the person – Laura Munroe
My pledge is to take time to listen to people’s experiences and feelings – Angelene Moan
My pledge is to spend time talking to my papa and gran, visit them regularly, listen to them, respect them, take them out.  Spend more time with them – Megan Hurst
I pledge to be kind and interested and to update my knowledge about dementia – Nisha
I pledge to listen to every individual’s story – Jennifer Cochrane
I pledge to take time to listen to people’s story.
I pledge to see the person, their life experiences and not just a diagnosis and label – Alan McCabe
I pledge to never give up on helping people with dementia and their cares – Joe Bickle
I pledge to listen and treat every individual with kindness, respect and dignity and take the time to understand their life and journey –Jemma Donaldson
I pledge to be the best Social Worker I can be, to take the time to listen to people with dementia and their cares and to gain an understanding about their lives whilst treating each person with dignity and respect –Leanne Marshall
My pledge is to listen as a human not a social worker – Natalie Davey
My pledge is to listen, support and provide a voice.  To learn about you and respect you – Kirsty Gibson
I pledge to make more time every day.
I pledge to continue listening to people I come into contact with –Tanya Jane Baillie
I pledge to make time for people who need help.  To listen – Jennifer Graham
I pledge to never forget people.
I pledge to respect the life-stories of the people I will encounter.  Not to lose sight of their humanity and to always put their needs before my own – Patrick Farren
I pledge to be informed! Listen to peoples stories, reach out and make a connection – Leanne
I pledge to be a good listener, pay attention to people’s feelings etc –Abigail
I pledge to be kind and considerate of people’s feelings and to listen to their experiences – Megan O`Meara
I pledge that I will take Tommy`s story with me in my life and in my work.  Thank you – Conor McCann
I pledge to listen to and spend time with my papa and help and respect my family who are helping care for him – Jessica
Hi 
with great thanks to  Margaret Caldwell  Lecturer in Mental Health Nursing  Department of Nursing and Community Health and Dr Gill Constable Lecturer Social Work Glasgow Caledonian  University for the kind invite to speak to 1st year Mental Health Nursing students and MSc 1 and MSc 2 Social Work students at 9am and 11am 

I have had the great pleasure to speak a few times at the University before before and in fact was very honored  to give the Glasgow Caledonian University 2014 Masterclass 

I am very much looking forward to attending ,Meeting the students and speaking 

You can read the pledges from precious talks HERE 
Thanks for reading my blog, You can now view my 8 short flims here! http://tommy-on-tour-2011.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/my-mums-name-was-joan-this-is-our-story.html
DCV photo DementiaCarerRGBlandscape3_zpsa2f3d5ff.jpg
Dear Tommy,

I do hope that you don’t mind my contacting you. Your details have been given to me by a colleague. I am delivering two training days on dementia to MSc 1 and MSc 2 Social Work students. The first day is on Wednesday 25th March and the second day is the 8th April. They are two different cohorts of students. I wondered if it would be possible for you to speak at either of these days. I think you are in the university on the 25th March and therefore you may not wish to do another session on that day.

I have heard you speak and your account is very moving. It is important that as social workers in training they have a sense of what the experience of caring is like and how they can best be supportive. The training days are from 9.30am – 4.30pm and I would adjust the programme to best meet your time commitments if you were available.

Kind regards

Gill Constable

Dr Gill Constable
Lecturer Social Work
Glasgow Caledonian University
Cowcaddens Road, Glasgow G4 OBA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...