Saturday 13 July 2013

Holiday weekend, still not sure what that means . mums Smile no longer here

Holiday weekend, still not sure what that means
Firstly I wish all a lovely  holiday weekend .I was out today doing a talk then filming and on my way home on the bus the chatter from people planning their long weekends made me smile As I got home tonight as always happens my wee mum was on my mind,I have yet to open this front door without a sadness hitting me is some way shape or form

5 years of dementia and caring ,weekends, weekdays, bank holidays ,holiday weekends they all blended into one.We could not differentiate .they where just days to try our best to get through,And that’s the
great sadness.of course we had good days ,we certainly had love but looking back they where just a fog of  not understanding,loneliness and fear. This is something we have to change, we have to make the hard days better for people, and we have to make the days caring for a loved one  not something we try to get through just to get through tomorrow. but time to love and cherish Even now 8 months after my wee mum passed away weekends and week days are all the same to me
It was Easter last year that a big change came to us and mum ,as they had so often ,but this time I knew in my heart there where not many more big changes mum could take. Not long after Easter  my mum was confided to her room and bed .I took a wee photo that day as I gave mum her wee egg knowing dementia and time was truly against us and it would be our last easter together .and I miss her sitting here just now I miss mums kindness her love ,her care and the great mum she was.The the loneliness we felt over the last years was in many ways  a rehearsal for how lonely life can be when a best pal is no longer here

Tommy

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photo of your mum, Tommy. Such a sweet smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret kilbyMarch 29, 2013

    Treasured memories, tommy im the same 1st easter in or any bank hols in the last 5 yrs, and what am I doing, I wil go to the nursing home for a few hours each day, if he is well enough, take him out for an hour,maybe a drive in the car, he gets very restless and aggitated so it won't be for long.
    I been awake for a while now, and im lying on dad's bed in his old room , but how long doe's this grieving for them and that condition go on, you are doing a fantastic job on dementia awareness, and im trying too, so when do we get help with the grieving and loneliness. I suppose once a carer, Always a carer!! Xx

    ,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...