Tuesday 2 July 2013

Dementia & caring through art - Project Outline and application

Hi,

I will know within the next month if my dementia through art project, based on the letters I receive and people I have met, has the backing and go ahead.

Hoping we can agree a way to fund people for the ideas below and help tell the story of dementia and caring in a way that comforts, inspires and raises awareness.


Project Outline

Art students

Develop a brief for a group of art students to create a space which brings comfort, hope and inspiration to all who visit the hospital or work there based on the letters and life stories collected during the campaign ( I believe if we work with the students on some of the life stories they will produce art that helps comfort and will inspire all who view).

Carer groups

Work with carers /families who attend carer groups form across Cities /towns ; north, south, east and west, encouraging them to come up with ideas, sentiments and inspiration to create a Carer’s space in the corridor.

Local art students will be sought to work with the groups if required to bring their thoughts and ideas to life.

Design students

I have identified a couple of students working on a dementia, residential care design course who are keen to get involved in the project.

I believe if we can bring all of the above together and agree a plan work can be done that will inspire all who view.

I also believe this will raise positive awareness and positive publicity for the hospital and NHS. 

Involving families and the next generation of artists in this project will I hope help and inspire others along the way and I believe involving carers and carer groups will inspire local communities and the people involved.

Tommy  

Collecting life stories raising awareness

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tommy
    I came upon your BlogSpot while researching for a uni assignment. I am currently a mature age student hoping to obtain my Masters in Art Therapy. From first hand experience I watched as my own father slowly declined with dementia. Sadly he passed away in 2010. Through my experience with my father I hope to be able to help others using Art as a way for creative expression. Keep up the good work. Awareness is so important.
    Ruth (Australia)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...