Friday 23 August 2013

August 22nd last year a special visit for Mum from the Deputy First Minister



Dates are significant when someone you love is no longer here; birthdays, anniversaries and more. August 22nd last year is one of those that particularly sticks with me.

As a carer, the real basis behind my awareness campaign was our story, more importantly – Mum’s story. The campaign ended up taking me all over the country, even to the Scottish Parliament, but it played on my mind that the most important person in the world to me, the reason behind everything I was doing, was unable to be with me in person at any of those events.

I remember coming home after speaking at the Scottish Parliament and handing in the carers letters. I told Mum all about the day and how I was so proud to speak about her at the Scottish Parliament, she responded by giving me the biggest of smiles and holding my hand so tight. 

A year ago today, 22nd August 2012, Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon took the time to visit my home to meet the Mum at the heart of the campaign, who was very unwell at the time. It was a very special and private visit. My Mum was never able to make it along to the Scottish Parliament, but I will always remember the day that a part of the Scottish Parliament came to meet her.

Tommy            





blog post august 22nd 2012

Hi
we had a visitor at home Yesterday (we don’t get many) the Deputy First  and health minister Nicola Sturgeon came to visit and meet my mum and have a wee look at life at home caring for a loved one

It was a very private visit and the fulfillment of a promise made when we last met to discuss the letters I receive and I am grateful as I have spent a lot of time over the last year discussing my mums life in public on my quest  to raise awareness  I first contacted the DFM  over a year ago to tell her of my plans to collect life stories and she promised if I did she would  invite me speak at parliament and read the letters I collected  .

A few months back When we met , the DFM  asked if she could meet my mum ,my personal reason  the MUM. behind my campaign As mum is a biggest part of my life and campaign 

 I am happy to say that promise was  fulfilled today A private visit and discussion but very moving 

due to  my mums health she is unable to come with me on my talks ,when I had the privilege of handing over letters and speaking in one of the rooms at the Scottish Parliament last year  I was proud to do so and wished my mum could have been there.Today part of the Scottish Parliament came to meet my mum  in her home and the biggest part of my life and tour was the biggest part of a special day 


With thanks to the DFM for reading our life stories and keeping the promises she has made this son to date and for taking time to meet the mum behind this campaign 

Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...