Thursday 17 October 2013

The Long and Winding Road - Irene Oldfather Programme Director DementiaCarer Voices


First blog from my friend and programme director at dementia carer vocies Irene Oldfather
I have asked Irene to do a monthly blog on dementia ,caring and the DCV project and I am so very happy to say that Irene has agreed to do this

Irene has guided and inspired me as a son and with her guidance We/i hope to do the best We /I can to raise Awarennes and understanding


The Long and Winding Road

I am so pleased to contribute to Tommy's blog. It has been an inspiration to work with him to try to raise awareness and to speak up and speak out for people with dementia and their carers.
Like others tommy and I have been on the long and winding road. Gone through the roller coaster of highs and lows which defy description unless you have been there.
The Highs - immense love, good days when little tiny things assume immense importance - smiles, happy times, walks, fresh air, a responsive touch.
The lows - sleepiness, no appetite, sad,withdrawn.

No matter the lows, I feel incredibly privileged to be part of of a journey of courage and love where the word defeat is not in the dictionary. People with dementia get up and fight the illness in their own way everyday . If they have the courage how can I let them down . I promise to be their champion on the long and winding road. On that road no stone will go unturned and no door unknocked. We will make things better. Give dementia a voice. Support Dementia Carer Voices. 


Irene Oldfather
Programme Director
Working with Tommy Whitelaw Son/Campaigner
Project lead




With Cabinet secretary for health Alex Neil reporting on the Dementia Carer Voices Project a few weeks ago at the Scottish Parliament  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...