Saturday 26 May 2012

My mums name is Joan Whitelaw she is not an illness or just a wee woman with dementia

Hi
To many times  caring for my mum I have witnessed my mum being viewed as her illness and not the person she is ,So on this sunny morning in Glasgow I hope I say this for all who need care ,are being cared for or will need care one day  I would like to say the following to all who walk through our door or  meet my mum , and I hope I speak for other people who have a loved one with this or any other illness when I say…
My mother’s name is Joan Whitelaw. She was born  July 1939.
She has been:
  • a daughter,
  • a sister,
  • a wife,
  • a mother,
  • a grandmother
  • a friend,
  • a workmate,
  • a neighbour,
  • a valued member of her community,
  • a true, honest and dignified lady
and, like so many others of the 82,000 plus people in Scotland, she is now to often labelled as ‘a wee women with dementia’. An illness we, at this time, have no cure for,

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 26, 2012

    Hiya, I AM SO EXITED !!!!!! I have just been informed that my latest book "Silent Voices, My Battle with Alzheimers Continues" is FINALLY availiable in the UK !! No more Shipping Charges from the States, so now all my friend`s in the UK and Europe can buy the paper back!!!! Its been such a long time coming!!!! Thank you all for being so patient, I hope you all enjoy it, please let me know, and PLEASE pass on to ALL your friends and Internet connections, , its all in a good cause !! Just click on the lnk !! all our love, a very exited Norrms, Elaine and family xxxxxxxx
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Voice%60s-Battle-Alzheimer%60s-Rages/dp/1463761538/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338021274&sr=1-2

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...